By Maya Bailey
Let me ask you a couple questions:
1. Do you feel conflicted about beginning a new year?
2. Is one part of you saying “I want to start fresh” and another part of you think “Oh no, here we go again”?
If you feel that way, just relax into it and know that you are normal and this is very common.
In the next 12 months do you want to:
1. Work smarter not harder?
2. Create success with ease?
3. Save for retirement?
4. Have enough money for travel, fun and recreation?
It’s not impossible if you know what you’re doing.
Here is what you need to know for a breakout year:
1. Have a client centered mindset
You must have an attitude that your job is about helping people. Of course you want to make money, and you will. But that is the side benefit of your heartfelt desire to offer your services to people so that they get the help they need.
That doesn’t mean that you have to become a “people pleaser.” You still need your boundaries, you still need to be yourself, and your clients need to respect you. Given all that, you still need to have at the center of it all, a desire to put yourself out, and be visible so that you can give a great service to people.
2. Have a strong belief in yourself
You have expertise and it’s valuable. You have learned a lot about real estate and you know more than the average Jane or John Doe. You can actually help to make buying or selling a home go smoothly and easily. What an incredible skill you have.
Just breathe in that, and realize that truth. A lot of you don’t realize how much expertise and skill you have to offer.
When you do, it empowers you whenever you get on the phone or you meet someone in an elevator because you have a skill that most people don’t have.
If you make a statement like “I can never achieve my financial goals,” then the universe only knows how to say “yes.” You create a self-fulfilling prophecy. Your thoughts create your reality.
3. You need a pro-success mindset
A pro-success mindset is a mindset that is free of all anti-success beliefs. There are 4 different categories of self-limiting beliefs. If you have anti-success beliefs in any of these categories, you will find it very difficult, if not impossible, to succeed.
1. Self-limiting beliefs about self:
• “I’m not good enough.”
• “I’m not smart enough.”
• “I need to be perfect to be okay.”
• “I don’t have what it takes.”
2. Self-limiting beliefs about success:
• “If I am successful, I will have to work long hard hours, struggle and sacrifice.”
• “If I am successful, I won’t have balance in my life.”
• “If I am successful I won’t have time for myself, my friends, or my family.”
• “If I am successful, I will be overwhelmed.”
3. Self-limiting beliefs about money:
• “There is never enough money.”
• “If I get money I will lose it.”
• “I don’t deserve an abundance of money.”
Almost everyone I’ve met has some version of these in their subconscious mind. Do you understand how this would make it impossible to succeed? You could have all of these in your subconscious mind and not even be aware of.
Beliefs like these would cause you to:
• Continually procrastinate
• Analyze and second-guess yourself
• Feel scattered instead of organized
If this feels familiar to you, then you can count on the fact that you have self-limiting beliefs that you need to eliminate.
Now that you understand the self-limiting beliefs that make up an anti-success mindset, here are a few of the many empowered beliefs that make up a pro-success mindset.
Empowered beliefs about yourself:
• I am more than good enough.
• I am perfectly imperfect just like everyone else.
• I have all that it takes to succeed.
• I easily accomplish anything that I set my mind to do.
• I achieve success by working smarter, not harder.
• I create success with ease.
• I enjoy being successful and having balance in my life.
• I enjoy being successful and having time for myself, I friends, and my family.
Empowered beliefs that you need to install:
• There’s always an abundance of money
• People with money are just as good as people with no money
• I deserve an abundance of prosperity
4. Take ACTION.
Here is the formula that guarantees success, and it includes not only mindset but also action.
SUCCESS = Right Mindset + Right Action
Here’s the bottom line: even if you had all the right action steps, you wouldn’t succeed unless you had the right mindset.
But the opposite is also true: if you had the right mindset, but you didn’t take the right actions you still wouldn’t succeed.
I’ve been coaching real estate agents the last 16 years to reprogram their mindset. I have noticed that usually when their mindset changes to a Pro Success Mindset, they are then guided to the right action steps.
5. Practice creating confidence in your mind and emotions.
Tip 1: Focus on What You Want
If you feel happy, grateful and hopeful, then you’re probably putting your attention on what you want. If you’re feeling discouraged, depressed or anxious, then you’re focusing on what you don’t want.
Whenever you find yourself focusing on what you don’t want, ask yourself, “What DO I want?” Most likely you’ll choose positive thoughts, images and feelings as you focus on your desired outcome. Not only will this brighten your mood and give you more confidence, but also, it will increase your chances of closing the deal.
Tip 2: Create a Successful Future Self
Visualize what you are going to look like in the future, having accomplished your goals. Then practice feeling what it feels like to be that future self. As you sink deeply into the feelings of accomplishment, contentment and confidence, you are creating a vision that inspires you.
Tip 3: Only engage in interactions that are win/win
How many times have you gone into a situation with a prospective client while at the same time a voice in your head was saying something like, “Don’t do it; this doesn’t feel right”?
Next time your gut feelings are telling you to back out, listen to them. It’s better to back out in the beginning than to get involved in a situation where you can’t back out later.
Confidence is the inner knowing that you can achieve whatever you want.