We can’t escape the news headlines. The casualties from our ailing economy are all around us – companies are closing, workers are losing their jobs and foreclosure rates are on the rise. As a result, many pet owners have been forced to give up their beloved family pets because they can no longer afford to keep them, or because their new housing accommodations will not allow pets.
I have been a pet owner my entire life, and cannot picture life without them. Seriously, I can’t imagine having to give them up, but every day pet owners like myself are forced to choose. What happens to these four-legged creatures that love us unconditionally but have no voice? Unfortunately, many pets are left behind – abandoned in their homes or just set loose to fend for themselves. This is an issue that is on the rise, and the animal rescue site (www.theanimalrescuesite.com a partner of Petfinder.com) is trying to raise awareness by asking people to take action by signing a pledge to help pet victims.
Some of the things that we can do now to help…
- Contact a local shelter to find out what in-kind* donations would help.
- Volunteer your time at a local shelter.
- Make a monetary donation to your local shelter.
* In-kind donations include: bath towels, fleece blankets, tennis balls, cat toys, treats, collars, cat litter, carriers, crates and more!
If you or someone you know is facing home foreclosure and have pets, please consider the following:
- Consider temporary relocation for your pet by asking friends, family or co-workers to care for your pet until your living situation stabilizes.
- Ask your local veterinarian if they provide low-cost boarding, or set up a payment plan for boarding costs.
- http://www.petfinder.com/ can be a great resource to find a local shelter to surrender ownership of your pet.
Written by Kathy Bauer, Marketing Director for Calcagni Associates
your click on the animal rescue site will give .6 of a bowl of food to a rescused animal. please click on every day and tell all your friends & family to do the same!!!